With the emergence of Dynamics 365 for cloud and on premises, brings up a question that if D365 is as compatible and seamless with mobile application as of with its preceding development? Yes, Dynamics 365 leverages the capabilities of modern mobile devices, such as GPS, camera, biometric security, and mobile payments. It allows to create rich mobile apps that merge Dynamics 365 data with data from multiple systems, such as ERP, Billing or Help Desk for a concise mobile experience. In addition, it also allows to create mobile application with a streamlined user experience which target activities people frequently perform using Dynamics 365.
Architecture and design considerations for the mobile platform
The mobile app communicates AOS to get the metadata and to get the data for the fields on the pages. AOS creates a new session for every new request from mobile app client to open corresponding bases on user’s context. AOS could open up multiple form in succession and run business logics as usual. Hence, AOS collect data and send back to client (mobile app) as illustrated in below image.
Some key highlights of the new mobile apps framework
- Support for full Offline/intermittent connectivity mode. You can interact with Dynamics AX even when not connected to the internet.
- Inherits of all key artifacts of Dynamics AX (Such as Security, labels and more).
- Jquery isn’t supported; however as most of the apps and features will be available out of the box. if one need to make an application visually appealing for instance, changing he UI, adding a file upload interface, or some real-time validation in the mobile client, then this can be done by writing a standalone java script.
Limitations of the Dynamics 365 Mobile Application
- Iframe and web resource support is limited in the mobile application.
- Out of the box related records filtering does not work in the mobile client.
- Default values for out of the box fields do not get populated.
- Quick view forms are not supported.
- The default create form is the quick create form for the entity. Therefore, the quick create form needs to be disabled for the entity to display the complete create form.
- JQuery is not supported. If it is embedded in any library, it will make the app crash.
- Till to date using the back button isn’t recommended rather use home button and then navigate to the required entity.
Dynamics 365 Mobile Application Requirements
Microsoft Dynamics 365 on-premises deployments require Internet Facing Deployment (IFD) for users to access their data on their tablets/Phones. If you have your Microsoft Dynamics 365 website available over the internet but it is not using the Microsoft Dynamics 365 IFD configuration, it is not supported.
The Dynamics 365 for Phone is only supported for the devices as in below image
Mobile App Designer & development Overview
Microsoft has released a new mobile application named as Microsoft Dynamics 365 Unified Operation for Android, Iphone and Windows phone user. The product is a release candidate version and MS would keep releasing new features and functionalities accordingly.
- Download MS Dynamics 365 Unified Operation app from either of the mobile store.
- Get D365 application URL and valid credential to move on
- Now launch D365 on your browser. On top right corner; Select Settings > Mobile App. Click on Mobile app to have a designer experience as well.
- You will witness your browser split into two portions, left one for D365 web browser while right side for mobile application configuration
- Here, one can create mobile workspace for any functional area. Let’s create a mobile app/workspace for the Projects.
- Click Add and give a name and description for the app/workspace. One can also select a color for the workspace along with the default icon.
- Next, adding a new page to the top of the app. This page will appear when user launches the app/workspace. Click Add Page and provide a page title and description.
- Click Select fields button to select the data fields you want to show on this page.
- Now, system will automatically prompt the data fields that can simply be selected to add to the page. In this case we add Customer Name, Project ID, Name, Project type and Project stage, by click the + icon on each field to add them to the page.
- Click Done when done with adding fields you need.
- Under action, it add actions and perform all the tasks such as save, submit, edit etc. on a specific form, system automatically record them and present the action in form of a button in the app.Similarly, under the CODE tab, one can add custom code (Java script) for additional fancy customizations (such as UI changes, validation in mobile client and more).Note: D365 for mobile development doesn’t support JQuery.
- Now click on Back > Done > Save.
- As a final step, publish this app workspace by selecting your workspace and click on Publish button on top.
- Finally, this is how the its appears on phone