This is the first blog post of the series of two blog posts about the Test Data Transfer Tool. In this blog post I am going to discuss about the merits and demerits of the recently released Test Data Transfer Tool (Beta) for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012.
I found this tool to be quite simple and lightweight but yet a very useful tool in specific scenarios.
Benefits of the tool:
- Very lightweight and simple to use tool.
- Can be installed on any machine that has the SQL Server Client tools installed. You can find the complete installation guide at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn296450.aspx
- Can be handy tool in transferring the data among the different environments within a simple implantation. Like for example data transfer from production to the training environment.
- This tool can be when there is a requirement only the subset of the data. For example transferring only a single company data.
- Though the tool can be used to import and export any AX entity but I found it more useful while transferring my configuration data among the environments. Like for example module parameters tables.
- Fast when compare to other data migration tools for AX.
Limitations of the tool:
- The usage of this tool requires you to have a SQL related skillset. Since the tool is actually a wrapper on top of SQL Server Bulk Copy Program (bcp) that’s why the expert level knowledge of the AX database schema and T-SQL is a must.
- Since the tool works directly on SQL Server database that’s why the tool doesn’t make sure that your import produces a complete or coherent database.
In the next blog post earlier next week I am going to share with you the advance usage of this tool with some practical examples.
For the second part follow this link.