The essence of this document is to demonstrate import/export in D365 data migration framework. You could find other blog discussing the same thing but in this blog I shall give you some tips and work around that could save your time by eliminating undesired errors in performing data import. However, the export is quite simple and straight forward.
The performing the following step you won’t come across any error in importing.
- The import file must not contain spaces. For instance, if the import file name is ‘Material type’ then rename the file by ‘MaterialType’ or ‘Material_Type’ (Image 1)
- Do same for the sheet name such that no spaces between words. (Image 1)
- If in any case the import excel fail or any error may occur in the process, then create a new sheet with in that excel file and paste the data here from the previous sheet.
- You need to make sure that AzureStorageEmulator is running when you are trying to import or export files, other-wise the following error may occur in uploading excel file.
In order to run Azure storage emulator, do perform the following steps
– Run command prompt as administrator.
– Navigate by typing “cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Azure\Storage Emulator\”
– Run AzureStorageEmulator.exe start
My import file looks this way,
- Navigate to Workspaces > Data management.
- Click import
- Do the needful as below,
Here in my case, I’m importing employee data of which data entity is pre-created. However in other case one must create a custom data entity for custom data to import.
Note: Match your .xls column data type with the entity, otherwise it’d fail to import.
- Upload the file and select the worksheet. While uploading .xls file an error may occur as in image 3 and apply image 4 as solution.
- Click on view map and map Employee legal entity id field(this is a mandatory field) with Company column in xls. If it ain’t in your xls, then does include another column by company. Further map all mandatory and other xls column.
- Click save, close the mapping window and refresh import window. After refresh, the entity is ready for import and would appear this way.
- Select it and click Import on the top right. The following screen would appear
- Click on view staging data, and the staging data would appear as follow and click on ‘copy data to target’
- Click Ok on this dialog to the right, and then click on ‘run asynchronously’
- Finally, the data moved to target.